Evaluation Coordinator Victoria Bigelow, Ph.D. will lead an evaluation of a 10-week summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) in computational and data science. This REU is coordinated by Michigan State University’s Department of Computational Mathematics, Science and Engineering (CMSE) in partnership with the Institute for Cyber-Enabled Research (iCER).
Research projects provided though iCER ACRES focus on the development and enhancement of algorithms, models, and software for applications in multiple research areas that require high-performance computing resources. Research areas include computational chemistry, biology, astrophysics, mathematics, big data science, and computational electromagnetics.
The proposed evaluation will provide information about the iCER ACRES program. Specifically, the evaluation aims to provide information that can be used to
- Help the program team improve the quality of programming;
- Learn about program outcomes; and
- Prepare for the grant reapplication process.
The following questions will guide CEDER’s evaluation work:
- What is the impact of the program?
- How can the program be improved to better prepare students for careers
- in computational and data science research?