About the Awards
The dije awards recognize work to advance diversity, inclusion, justice, and equity within the School of Education, as well as within the broader University of Michigan campus and surrounding communities. These awards serve an important function: to spotlight the advancement of our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Strategic Plan. They also serve to recognize the individuals whose significant efforts make the advancement of this plan possible.
The dije award is presented to one student, one faculty member, and one staff member each academic year.
These awards recognize individuals who have demonstrated a commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Justice, and Equity (dije) in all aspects of their professional work. Such persons advance the mission of the School of Education and serve as an inspiration to those with whom they interact. We will separately consider nominations for students, faculty, and staff. We are looking for individuals who help to foster an inclusive and respectful climate in the School of Education, while working to advance our goals of Diversity, Inclusion, Justice, and Equity.
Each awardee will receive $500 and a framed certificate from the School of Education acknowledging their contributions. Awardees are also announced in the program and presentation at the Spring Commencement Ceremony.
SOE faculty, staff, and students are invited to submit nominations on a rolling basis. The Education Diversity Advisory Committee (EDAC) serves as the selection committee. EDAC is a School of Education committee comprised of faculty members, staff members, and students and advises on policies and practices related to diversity and equity. Nominations submitted by March 8 will be considered for the current award year.
Nominations must include the following items:
- A one- to two-page letter of support
- The nominee's CV or resume
Self-nominations are welcome.
Please note that members of the selection committee are not eligible to receive awards.
Questions may be directed to the Education Diversity Advisory Committee co-chairs:
Please note that content of nominations may be used for future award promotion.
- Camille Wilson, Professor of Education, Educational Studies Program, School of Education
- Kathryn Taylor, Manager of Communications and Special Projects, TeachingWorks, School of Education
- Christina Morton, Doctoral Candidate, Center for the Study of Higher and Postsecondary Education, School of Education
Carla O’Connor, Arthur F. Thurnau Professor of Education & Director, Wolverine Pathways
- Melinda Richardson, Managing Director of the Center for the Study of Higher and Postsecondary Education
Student Winners (awarded jointly)
- Ebony Perouse-Harvey, Doctoral Student, Teaching and Teacher Education
- Laura-Ann Jacobs, Doctoral Student, Educational Studies: Literacy, Language, and Culture
- Dr. Patricia King, Professor of Higher Education
- Felice Gonzales, Office and Program Manager of the Center for Education Design, Evaluation and Research (CEDER)
Graduate Student Winner
- Aurora Kamimura, Doctoral Candidate in Higher Education, Organizational Behavior and Management
- Dr. Debi Khasnabis, Clinical Assistant Professor of Education & Member of the Mitchell Scarlett Teaching and Learning Collaborative
- Dr. Maisie Gholson, Assistant Professor of Educational Studies
- Dr. Simona Goldin, TeachingWorks Director of Instructional Design for Seminars and Special Projects & SOE Instructor
Graduate Student Winners
- Erika Mendez, Master’s Student in Educational Leadership and Policy
- Naomi Wilson, Rising 3rd Year Doctoral Student in Educational Foundations and Policy
Undergraduate Student Winner
- Mr. Lawrence Teng, Rising Senior