COVID-19 Information for the SOE Community

Effective May 16, 2022

  • Current masking requirements:
    • Masking is optional in all areas of campus, including in instructional spaces during class time, except in patient care areas and U-M COVID-19 testing sites, where masks are still required
    • The University's Campus Health Response Committee (CHRC) recommends wearing a face covering in indoor camps areas due to Washtenaw County's community case level rating
  • Current vaccination requirements:
    • Up-to-date vaccinations are required for all eligible students, faculty, and staff on all U-M campuses

Visit Campus Maize & Blueprint for the most up-to-date COVID-19 university information and policies.

Re-Engagement Commitments

SOE Re-Engagement Commitments

As we re-engage in-person activities in the School of Education, we are committed to:

  • Delivering the highest quality education experience possible consistent with the standards of the School of Education and the University of Michigan.
  • Prioritizing the health and safety of all members of our community, with special consideration and thought toward vulnerable individuals by following public health heuristics informed by experts at the University of Michigan, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the State of Michigan.
  • Centering diversity, inclusion, justice, and equity as we work to make teaching, learning, and working safe, robust, and inclusive of all members of the School of Education.
Michigan Care Compact

An SOE community commitment to embodying our values and achieving our goals as we come back together this year by maintaining a vibrant, healthy, equitable, caring, excellent, compassionate, and inclusive academic, research, and work experiences for all in our collective. Read the Michigan Education Care Compact graphic guide for more details.

Wolverine Culture of Care

The Wolverine Culture of Care is our collective commitment to keeping the U-M campus community as healthy and safe as possible by caring for ourselves and to being respectful of our impact on the health of others.

COVID-19 Precautions & Policies


As of May 2, 2022, the university's COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all students, faculty, and staff to remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccinations—including at least one booster, once eligible—and self-report their vaccination status. Please read the full policy for exemptions.

For the most up-to-date information about vaccination requirements, reporting vaccination status, finding vaccines, booster eligibility, and other frequently asked questions, visit Vaccine Information.


As of May 16, 2022, the university's face covering policy for COVID-19 requires masks only in patient care areas and U-M COVID-19 testing sites. Masking is optional in all others areas of campus, including in instructional spaces during class time.

However, due to the Washtenaw County’s COVID-19 community case level being increased to a “high” rating, the university’s Campus Health Response Committee (CHRC) recommends wearing a face covering in indoor campus spaces.  Face coverings are not required.

Masking is still an effective strategy for enhanced personal protection, especially for those with compromised immune status, those who are not vaccinated, and anyone with a perceived increased situational risk.


Asymptomatic Testing
The U-M COVID-19 Community Sampling and Tracking Program (CSTP) offers free, asymptomatic testing for all U-M faculty, staff, and students on the Ann Arbor campus.

Symptomatic Testing
Faculty, staff, and students who have a known exposure to or are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 can find testing sites through COVID-19 Testing.

Mandatory Testing
Faculty, staff, and students who are not considered up to date on their COVID-19 vaccinations, including anyone with an approved exemption, are required to take a COVID-19 test weekly. See the Testing FAQ to review the mandatory testing requirement and testing programs that fulfill it.

Testing Positive
Faculty, staff, and students who test positive for COVID-19 should refer to U-M's current guidance on exposures for isolation, quarantine, and reporting procedures. Faculty and staff should follow university protocol if a student in their class discloses a positive test result.

For the most up-to-date information, visit Testing.


Faculty, staff, and students who have been exposed or think they may have been exposed to COVID-19 should follow university guidelines, which are based on guidance from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

Daily Online Health Screening

All faculty, staff, and students are expected to complete the ResponsiBLUE online health screening daily, before entering the building.

SOE Building Safety Precautions

The SOE Facilities Office has taken the following measures in the SOE Building to help prevent the spread of COVID-19:

  • Enhanced cleaning protocols to provide safe learning and working environments.
  • Made hand sanitizer available in all classrooms, and in corridors.
  • Made disinfectant wipes available in all classrooms. Students and instructors should all wipe down desks and chairs before and after each class meeting.
  • Placed air purifiers and fans in all classrooms.
Additional COVID-19 Resources & References

More Information

See U-M’s Campus Maize and Blueprint for more information regarding COVID-19, including university precautions, policies, and procedures.


Contact Your Chair or Director

If you have academic or programmatic questions or concerns about our work together in the midst of the pandemic, then we recommend that you contact your program chair or director.

Ask a Question / Report a Concern

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any concerns or challenges you are experiencing—academic or otherwise.

Submit a question, comment, or concern