Forms & Guidelines

Information and Application Procedures for Visiting Scholars

Contact: Melinda Richardson, Managing Director of the Center for the Study of Higher and Postsecondary Education
Last modified: August 22, 2019

Thank you for your interest in a Visiting Scholar appointment with the Center for the Study of Higher and Postsecondary Education (CSHPE) in the University of Michigan’s School of Education. This program is open to international and domestic scholars with an earned doctorate.

Individuals selected as Visiting Scholars have well-defined scholarly and research interests and/or professional development agendas. The following are examples of activities Visiting Scholars undertake: participation in classes (with instructor permission), seminars, and colloquia, or affiliation with one of the center’s ongoing research projects. Applicants should understand that the Visiting Scholar program does not offer any regular form of financial assistance and that they may remain with CSHPE on a full-time basis up to one calendar year.

The following are the steps in the application and review process

You must submit the following documents and information by the deadlines posted below:

  • A statement of your scholarly or professional purpose in pursuing a Visiting Scholar arrangement, your particular area of interest, and an indication of the kinds of activities which you would like to undertake. NOTE: please specify the reasons you wish to visit the University of Michigan School of Education and what faculty you have interest in working with while here.
  • A copy of your curriculum vita.
  • Two supporting letters, preferably from someone in your institution.

Our next deadline is for applicants wishing to visit during the 2020-2021 academic year.  Invitations have already been extended for 2019-20.

Submission Deadline: November 1, 2019
Materials should be sent to Melinda Richardson

The faculty review your request.

Once your completed application is received, our faculty considers your request for a visiting scholar appointment. If a faculty sponsor is identified and your request is approved, a written invitation to join CSHPE as a Visiting Scholar will be sent to you. Successful applicants will be notified by December 1, 2019.

For international applicants only: after faculty approval, you must submit additional documents to obtain a visa.

In order to request a J-1 Visa from a U.S. embassy or consulate, you must receive a DS-2019 Immigration Form from the University of Michigan. This DS-2019 Form will be sent to you by CSHPE via courier service. However, before we can request that the University of Michigan issue you a DS-2019 immigration form, you must send us:

  • A completed J-1 Exchange Visitor Information Form.
  • Financial documentation indicating sufficient funds to cover your stay. Documentation must be in English. In addition, specific U.S. dollar amounts are required on financial documentation; statements such as "funds to cover stay" are not acceptable. Applicants who use private funds to cover their stay must send bank records in English, on letterhead, with signatures, indicating account balances, which clearly demonstrate that funds are sufficient to cover the intended duration of stay. Please note: For minimum funding requirements, please see J-1 Exchange Visitor Information Form.

More complete information for international visitors is available from the University of Michigan's International Center. Please familiarize yourself with this website, which has links to important information about health insurance requirements.

A $200 fee is charged to all international visiting scholars.

Once you arrive on campus, the Center for the Study of Higher and Postsecondary Education offers the following services:

  • Staff identification card which will allow you to make use of campus libraries (including online journals), as well as free access to Ann Arbor's public transportation system.
  • A University of Michigan uniqname and email account.
  • Access to a photocopier/scanner for necessary duplication of research materials.
  • Incoming faxes. (Outgoing faxes and mailing costs are the responsibility of the visiting scholar.)
  • Access to courses taught in the School of Education. (Visiting scholars should request permission from the instructor of record to attend classes.

At the University of Michigan School of Education, several spaces are available for you to use, including the Prechter Study Room, a Computer Lab, and the Brandon Center for the Study of Education Practice. You are welcome to attend all public events sponsored by the University and on occasion, you may be invited to contribute to the School’s intellectual life (e.g. make a course presentation, present a public lecture to students and faculty, interact with student organizations, and/or attend Program gatherings and seminars).

Some additional important things to note:

Further details about the visiting scholar experience can be found on the University's Academic Human Resources website. The Rackham Graduate School provides information about visiting graduate student requirements.

The center does not assist with housing, but recommends you use the helpful links on the International Center's website to begin your search.