Spring Commencement 2017
Completing Teacher Certification
If you wish to be recommended for your Michigan Provisional Teaching Certificate, be sure to complete the following requirements:
- Audit Forms - Complete these two forms and submit via email to email@example.com or hand deliver to the School of Education Office of Student Affairs (SEB Room 1228):
- Register in MOECS - Apply for your teaching certificate in MOECS (the Michigan Online Educator Certification System) using these instructions. Please note that MOECS will not allow you to complete your registration until you have taken and passed all MTTC tests.
- Adult & Child CPR and First Aid - Complete training through an approved provider and forward a copy of your certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that it must be valid at the time you are recommended for teacher certification.
- MTTC - Take and pass exams in all areas in which you plan to be certified.
- OPI - Take exam and earn a score of 'At least Advanced Low' for each World Language (other than Latin) in which you plan to be certified.
- UM Coursework - Earn passing grades in all courses required for certification
- Non-UM Coursework - Submit official transcripts for approved coursework showing a grade of C or higher
- Substitutions or waivers must be documented in writing
- Degree Conferral (Undergraduate and Music students only) - Teacher certification is dependent upon conferral of your degree. Be sure to check with your home School or College to verify that you are on track to graduate.
- Resolve your account balance - Check Wolverine Access to verify all tuition and fees are paid in full and that you have a $0 account balance. Financial holds must be cleared before being recommended for certification. For additional information, please refer to Student Financial Services.
If all requirements are satisfied by the appropriate date, you will be recommended for your Michigan Provisional Teaching Certificate as indicated.
|Elementary MAC*||Undergraduate & Music||Secondary MAC**|
|Requirements Due||May 1||May 15||June 15|
|Date of recommendation in MOECS||May 15||June 1||June 30|
*Elementary MAC Students: Due to the way the ELMAC program is structured, all EDUC courses required for certification are completed by the end of the Winter term. Certification is not dependent on conferral of your master's degree because you already hold a bachelor's degree.
**Secondary MAC Students: Due to the way the Secondary MAC program is structured, all EDUC courses required for certification are completed by the end of the Spring term. Certification is not dependent on conferral of your master's degree because you already hold a bachelor's degree.
Certification Audit: Individual audit appointments are not required in the final semester of your program. If you would like to have an audit completed, please feel free to email your request to email@example.com. If you prefer an in-person meeting to discuss your audit, please schedule an appointment (choose the 'Academic Advising' option). Please note that the audit function in Wolverine Access doesn't accurately track certification requirements.
Please be aware of future requirements to maintain teacher certification - Renewing your provisional certificate or advancing to the professional certificate must occur upon the expiration of your initial certification. Rules and requirements are available through the Michigan Department of Education.
If you have any questions, please contact the School of Education Office of Student Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-615-1528.