Funding - Master's Secondary Teaching Certification

Financing your Master of Arts with Certification Program

We are committed to helping you find funding to cover tuition and expenses. As part of your admission to the school, we try to match you with numerous scholarships—your application for these funds is automatic, no action is required of you. If you're selected for any of these, based on merit, financial need, or both, we will contact you by April 15. 

Master's students receive a variety of other financial resources that may include Teach Grants, Unsubsidized Student Loans, and Graduate Plus Loans.  Federal Work Study Employment or GSI/GSRA opportunities are not available to SecMAC students because of the program's intensity.  To learn more about the aforementioned resources please visit the university's Office of Financial Aid site at

If you have questions about what financial resources are available to you to help pay for your education, contact Scholarship and Fellowship Manager Eileen Brussolo.

Our admissions committee and scholarship awarding team work collectively to identify nominees for scholarships administered by the School of Education. Please also see below for information on additional financial resources that might be available to you.


Brownlee Forgivable Loan The loan was established by Donald S. & Floydene Beardslee Brownlee to provide need-based student loan support to exemplary full-time master’s students who attend the School of Education (SOE) at the University of Michigan. The loan obligation is cancelled if the recipient fullfills an obligation to teach full-time at the kindergarten through 12th grade level.  Documentation that the recipient taught for  a period of one year must be presented to the University's Loan Collections Office within two years of graduation from the University of Michigan. Students who are selected to receive this support will be notified by the Scholarship and Fellowship Manager of the School of Education, Eileen F. Brussolo.  Additional information about this loan program will be provided at that time.  No separate application is required.  Students are automatically considered for this support upon admission to their respective programs. 

Levi L. Barbour Fellowship for Women from the Orient In 1914 the bequest of Levi L. Barbour established a scholarship program at the University of Michigan for women of the highest academic and professional caliber from the area formerly known as the Orient (encompassing the lands extending from Turkey in the west to Japan and the Philippines in the east) to study modern science, medicine, mathematics and other academic disciplines and professions critical to the development of their native lands.

Office of National Scholarships and Fellowships has funding opportunities at the undergraduate and graduate level. Funding is not limited to LS&A. Learn more about scholarships, fellowships, summer opportunities, and other resources for which you may be eligible.

Private Scholarships Many private scholarships for college students are offered each year by a variety of organizations. 

Rackham Graduate School has eligible funding for students who contribute to diversity, who return to graduate school after an extended absence, or who have experienced a lapse in education after graduating high school, etc.

Rackham Master's Award is a competitive award open to newly admitted students in a Rackham graduate degree program; it provides three semesters of funding that includes tuition, two full semesters of fees and living expenses, and an academic year of health and dental insurance.

The Center for the Education of Women may have funding for you if you've been out of school for eight months or longer.

The Fred G. and Edith Carlson Walcott Award provides support to students enrolled in the School of Education who are studying abroad. While preference is given to students wishing to study in England, students studying abroad anywhere should apply.

The Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship Program received funding from the National Science Foundation to make significant financial awards for the 2015-2016 academic year to University of Michigan Secondary Master of Arts with Teacher Certification students who were interested in teaching in high-needs urban or rural school districts. The $30,000 funding opportunities existed for those who majored in and desired Summary to teach science, technology, engineering, or math.

Travel Grants

The Fred G. and Edith Carlson Walcott Award provides support to students enrolled in the School of Education who are studying abroad. While preference is given to students wishing to study in England, students studying abroad anywhere should apply.

Emergency Funding

The Center for the Education of Women offers Critical Difference Grants for students in emergency situations. To receive Critical Difference Grants students must set up an appointment with a counselor in the Center for the Education of Women (CEW). 

Rackham Graduate School administers a Student Emergency Fund to help in case of medical, dental, or mental health emergencies for yourself or, in some circumstances, for your immediate family members.

The School of Education may have resources for graduate students in emergency situations.

Financial Aid

A Child Care Subsidy may be available to you if you're a parent with child care expenses.

The university's Office of Financial Aid has information about various loan programs for which you may be able to apply.  

A Teach Grant comes from a federal program in which students receive grants if, following graduation, they commit to teaching in a high-need subject in a school serving low-income students.

Loan Forgiveness programs are possible through a variety of career paths.  To learn more about Public Service Loan Forgiveness click on  To learn about Stafford Loan Forgiveness Programs for Teachers click on,   To help you manage your loans after graduation, click on

Within This Section

Teacher Education

8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.

610 E. University Ave.
Room 1228
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1259

Phone: 734.615.1528
Fax: 734.647.9158
Visit department webpage »

See Also: