Funding - MA in Educational Studies - Educational Leadership and Policy

Tuition Overview 2017-2018

The figures below represent an average course of study for a student completing 30 credits in 10 consecutive months, September-June, and are accurate for the 2018-2019 academic year.

Resident Status Fall Winter Spring Total
Michigan Resident   $11,789  $11,789   $6,532  $30,110
Nonresident  $23,812  $23,812  $13,212   $60,836

These figures assume full-time registration for Fall/Winter terms (9+ credits) and Spring term (5+ credits). Your individual course plan may vary and completing requirements on a different schedule will impact costs. Your faculty academic advisor as well as staff in Educational Studies and the Office of Student Affairs are available to assist with course planning. Mandatory fees can be found at the Office of the Registrar link below.

Tuition and fees are subject to change as approved by the Board of Regents; it is suggested that students plan for an annual increase of 5% to 10%.

See also:

Office of the Registrar: Tuition and Fees
Office of Financial Aid: Cost of Attendance
Rackham Graduate School: Cost of Attendance for Graduate Students
Rackham Graduate School: Estimated Student Costs and Expenses for International Students
Office of the Registrar: Residency and In-State Tuition
Student Financial Services

Financial Support

All admitted students are automatically evaluated for scholarship support from the department of Educational Studies and awardees are notified during the post-admission phase.  Admitted students with questions about financial support may contact Tom Drake, Educational Studies Manager of Academic Program Development.

Our admissions committee and scholarship awarding team work collectively to identify nominees for scholarships administered by the School of Education. Please also see below for information on additional financial resources that might be available to you.


Alumnae Council Scholarships are available to you when you're a second-year student. Note: You will find the scholarship listing under the section Scholarship Notification and Renewal (fourth listing from the top under the heading Scholarship Name).

Brownlee Forgivable Loan The loan was established by Donald S. & Floydene Beardslee Brownlee to provide need-based student loan support to exemplary full-time master’s students who attend the School of Education (SOE) at the University of Michigan. The loan obligation is cancelled if the recipient fullfills an obligation to teach full-time at the kindergarten through 12th grade level.  Documentation that the recipient taught for  a period of one year must be presented to the University's Loan Collections Office within two years of graduation from the University of Michigan. Students who are selected to receive this support will be notified by the Scholarship and Fellowship Manager of the School of Education, Eileen F. Brussolo.  Additional information about this loan program will be provided at that time.  No separate application is required.  Students are automatically considered for this support upon admission to their respective programs. 

The International Institute lists numerous fellowships and awards for students interested in foreign languages and international studies.

Levi L. Barbour Fellowship for Women from the Orient In 1914 the bequest of Levi L. Barbour established a scholarship program at the University of Michigan for women of the highest academic and professional caliber from the area formerly known as the Orient (encompassing the lands extending from Turkey in the west to Japan and the Philippines in the east) to study modern science, medicine, mathematics and other academic disciplines and professions critical to the development of their native lands.

Office of National Scholarships and Fellowships has funding opportunities at the undergraduate and graduate level. Funding is not limited to LS&A. Learn more about scholarships, fellowships, summer opportunities, and other resources for which you may be eligible.

Private Scholarships Many private scholarships for college students are offered each year by a variety of organizations. 

Rackham Graduate School has eligible funding for students who contribute to diversity, who return to graduate school after an extended absence, or who have experienced a lapse in education after graduating high school, etc.

Rackham Master's Award is a competitive award open to newly admitted students in a Rackham graduate degree program; it provides three semesters of funding that includes tuition, two full semesters of fees and living expenses, and an academic year of health and dental insurance.

The Center for the Education of Women may have funding for you if you've been out of school for eight months or longer.

The Fred G. and Edith Carlson Walcott Award provides support to students enrolled in the School of Education who are studying abroad. While preference is given to students wishing to study in England, students studying abroad anywhere should apply.

Travel Grants

Travel Grants may be available from the School of Education if you're traveling to present a paper or participate in an out-of-state conference.

Rackham Travel Grants help students defray traveling expenses incurred to present a poster or paper at a conference.

The Fred G. and Edith Carlson Walcott Award provides support to students enrolled in the School of Education who are studying abroad. While preference is given to students wishing to study in England, students studying abroad anywhere should apply.

Research Support

Rackham Research Grants are designed to support students who need assistance to carry out research that advances their progress toward their degree.  If you are a doctoral student, you may qualify twice for these funds, once before candidacy and once as a candidate. If you're a master’s student, then you are eligible to receive one of these grants.

School of Education Mini Grants for Student Research may help cover research-related expenses not covered by fellowships, grants, or other sources of financial assistance. 

Emergency Funding

The Center for the Education of Women offers Critical Difference Grants for students in emergency situations. To receive Critical Difference Grants students must set up an appointment with a counselor in the Center for the Education of Women (CEW). 

Rackham Graduate School administers a Student Emergency Fund to help in case of medical, dental, or mental health emergencies for yourself or, in some circumstances, for your immediate family members.

The School of Education may have resources for graduate students in emergency situations.

Financial Aid

A Child Care Subsidy may be available to you if you're a parent with child care expenses.

The university's Office of Financial Aid has information about various loan programs for which you may be able to apply.  

Student employment including Federal Work-Study and non-work study opportunities are listed on the Student Employment website.

Within This Section